Friday, July 10, 2015

Tic Tac Toe: a finished quilt

I had such big plans for this quilt! I'll take my time, and then I take some really nice photos. Yeah, well, what do they say about the best laid plans...?

This quilt was a gift for my new nephew. He was already born at the beginning of May, but my brother-in-law and his family live about three hours away from us and we did not get the chance to visit before last weekend. Last week was also the last week of school with lots of parties and end of school stuff. Plus, it was very hectic at work. What does this have to do with this quilt, you ask? It meant that I was not really in the mood for quilting, and therefore did not finish until last Friday late in the evening. Since we left the next morning, there was no way of taking photos.


So I thought: "great, I'll do it when we get there in their garden". Only that we had 35 degrees Celsius and no one was really in the mood to spent more time outside than absolutely necessary...

Anyway, to make a long story short: baby boy is really cute and quilt was well received.

This quilt was made possible through the Beehivequilts. I had 12 blocks from my beemates and added some more. In this bee, we sew from our own stash, and I love that this gives the quilt a variety of fabrics.


The back was a lucky coincidence. I've had this owl fabric in my stash for a few years now, and I had totally forgotten about it. I was looking for fabric for the binding when I rediscovered it! And the piece was big enough for the whole quilt, no piecing. Yay!


What about you? Has the end of the school year slowed down your sewing as well?

I'm linking up with crazy mom quilts for finish it up Friday.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, what a cool quilt - I have got this on my to-do list, having now ticked off a Plus quilt. I am in the middle of a two-week mid-winter school holidays here in NZ so have been sewing up a storm! Will slow down next week when I get back into some school preparation/planning though...sigh! Enjoy your summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice indeed - love the colours.
    I am also from New Zealand, just like the previous comment, so that is certainly a coincidence. Yes, it is mid winter here, we celebrate Christmas in the summertime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a lovely treat for your new nephew, and I love it when you find the perfect backing in just the right size already in the stash!

    ReplyDelete