Sunday, May 18, 2014

14/2014: Granny is done and joins the Blogger's Quilt Festival!

Phew! I finished the biggest quilt I have ever made to date. It only took 1600 2,5 inch squares and about six yards of Kona Cotton Ivory.

Let me introduce you to Granny, who now lives on my bed:


This quilt started out as playing with my stash. I have to say I'm not normally someone who buys a whole line of fabric the minute it comes out. So it took me a while to really appreciate Denyse Schmidt fabric (I totally blame my friend Anja, she hooked me on Denyse!). My favorite line ever is Hope Valley, and when I jumped on the bandwaggon three years after its release, I had to scramble to get all the prints together (a big thank you to Anja and Ulrike for helping me out here!). I also got some Chicopee and later added a Shellburn Falls and a little Florence to the mix.  The first blocks were made in August last year, then it went on hiatus, and then I had another boost in November last years. And now, another six month later, it's finally finished.


I was a bit afraid to quilt such a large quilt, it measures about 86 inches on each side. But it worked like a charm with my Janome. And after a lot of thinking, I just went with straight lines.


As for the back, I had about 2,5 yards of this Florence print in my stash, it was supposed to become a dress. Oh well... I paired it with Kona Cotton in Sage and Peacock and added some scrappy binding to the mix.


This will be one of my entries to the Blogger's Quilt Festival. I missed out last fall, so I'm excited about this one...


AmysCreativeSide.com

6 comments:

  1. That's what I call an impressive granny square quilt! Great colors too.
    Ps.I noticed you have the same lamps as I have :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun quilt. So glad you had a chance to use all that fabulous fabric. The straight line quilting was the perfect choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! Worth the time for every one of those squares. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Superschön! Ich kann verstehen, daß du vor so einem großen Quilt Respekt hattest. Sieht echt toll aus.

    ReplyDelete