Sunday, January 12, 2014

04/2014: Can't stop till you get enough

After making this little pincushion last Friday, I could not stop myself. I had to make some more cathedral window blocks. And those blocks quickly turned into a pillow cover.


I already had the Denyse Schmidt fabrics on my table from working on my Granny Square quilt, so I just used some of those. These fabrics are among my favorites anyway. Over the course of Friday and Saturday evening, it grew big enough for a 24 x 16 inches (60 x 40 centimeters) pillow cover.

I used two orange Hope Valley fabrics for the back:


A few thought on the Cathedral Window block: It's not nearly half as difficult as I thought (hm, maybe I should give free motion quilting another go...). Also, the more blocks you make, the easier it gets.

Here's a shot from the first few blocks:


As you can see, the points are far from meeting in the middle.

Here's a look how it worked towards the end:


 Much better, no?

Also, if you don't like to iron, then this is clearly not the thing for you. And last but not least: I really like how this pillow turned out, but I'm fine with a pillow. I don't think I would love the look of a whole quilt like that on my bed.


Have a nice Sunday, everyone!

Update: I just found out about the linky party Monday Maker/Montag Macher  my two sewing buddies Aylin and Susanne are organizing! Of course I'm linking up! Go check it out!

http://suleon.blogspot.de/2014/01/montagsmacher-neue-deutschsprachige.html

7 comments:

  1. Happy Sunday! Your pillow is beautiful. I've always liked cathedral window blocks but I've never tried them Maybe this is the year :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love it! A pillow is definitely a good way to practice the cathedral windows, I may just have to try it! (And by the way, I see you are Elizabeth Bennett - I'd hoped to be her too, but apparently I am an Eleanor Dashwood!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ich LIEBE diese Blöcke. Schaut toll aus!
    Schön dass du zu unserer linky gefunden hast
    LG
    Susanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wunderschön! Ich habe diese Technik noch nie ausprobiert. Ein kleines Teil ist dafür sicher ideal.

    ReplyDelete