Thursday, October 3, 2013

Yes, I can!

Still finish a quilt, that is! The last time that happened, it was May! Four month without a new quilt, how did that happen? I guess I've been in a bit of a quilting hole over the summer. Somehow, it seemed to be more fun to finish clothes or sew bags and pouches. But I had a good reason to take up quilting again. Some friends of ours just had a baby boy! We hadn't seen them in about two years, but at the end of August, they came for a visit. Imagine our surprise when our friend showed up pregnant! We had no idea! So of course I wanted to make them a quilt and I let them pick out the fabric and design. Here's the end result:


They picked out Reunion by Sweetwater for Moda. Such a great line, especially for boy quilts! I paired it with Kona Ash. This quilt is not quite an exact copy of a quilt I made for my nephew for Christmas last year. I did change a few things, instead of using charm squares for the center pieces of the Ash blocks, I pieced the squares together.


I also tried my hand a circular quilting for the first time. It was easier than I thought, although some of the circles are not exactly round...


It's bound in Kona red. I realized I kind of have a thing for red binding!


Now all we need to do is meet the little guy and gift him with this quilt!

I'm linking up this one with TGIFF  for Octoberquest!


16 comments:

  1. YAY for a finish Kerstin - and it's gorgeous. Definitely loving the fabrics for a little boy and the circular quilting looks great. Not to mention the awesome red binding. Well done! Bet they'll love it. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks really great, Kerstin! Your friends are going to be so pleased! Not a bad show for your return to quilting! :) Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that looks lovely! It's amazing how different fabrics with the same pattern give totally different effects! thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing guilt! Beautiful fabrics. Love the back and the quilting too! Your friends will be happy with the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Der Quilt gefällt mir ganz außerordentlich!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the finish....love the fabric and quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your quilt is fabulous! I love the varied log cabin blocks and the setting with the four patches. And I think the circular quilting is the perfect complement!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can never go wrong with Reunion. I especially love the back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like the way you set out the blocks, every other one being grey or a log cabin. This looks great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the circle quilting, it is really effective, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the circular quilting!
    Barb@Witsend

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd love to hear more about the circular quilting - that fabric line is so pretty and the kona a nice companion.

    ReplyDelete
  13. And a great finish it is! Gorgeous fabrics and great quilting :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it! Isn't gray awesome? I love how the circles look (I don't love doing them, though!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I thought I spied some Reunion. Love it! And I love that red binding. Yum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks great! I have a Reunion project in progress - not sure when I'll get back to that...maybe someday!

    ReplyDelete