Friday, August 2, 2013

Flamingos and Foxes

Today is the last day of pre-school before a three week break. My older son is already very excited, because he will be one of the "big ones" after the vacation. He will also be in a different group then with a different teacher, he will move from the "Flamingo group" to the "Foxes group". The teacher he had the last two years is great. She is kind, patient, loves the children and she was a big help to him when he first went to this school. We had just moved back from the US and everything was new to him, so we were very happy that he had someone looking after him in such a gentle way. To say thank you, I made her a little something:


It's a simple tote. The tan fabric is from IKEA, the patterned fabric is Noteworthy by Sweetwater for Moda. I had a jelly roll and it reminded me of summer, that's why I chose it.


For the lining, I just pieced jelly roll strips together. I also made some pleats in the bottom to get a bit of a boxy shape.


I gave it to her this morning and she really liked it. It's not that common here like it is in the US that you give a teacher's present, and I think that's a shame, we should celebrate the people who educate our children, and even more so when they do a great job!

Have a happy weekend! I'm linking up with TGIFF and crazy mom quilts.

8 comments:

  1. Lovely tote! I think that's a great gift for a teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a thoughtful gift! I love the Noteworthy fabric line. I made a basket for my sewing room using it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh toll :) Ich hatte auch schon überlegt, ob ich Northworthy für meinen Shop bestelle. Schön, ihn mal in live zu sehen :)
    Susanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great gift for the teacher. I have been an art teacher in a high school for over 15 years. I think I was given a gift by a student TWICE in all those years. So it is absolutely not common practice in the Netherlands. I know other teacher get more, but they teach younger children, and I am not going the beg... unless someone is making something from fabric for me ;-)
    The teacher will surely appreciate this gorgeous gift!!!
    Esther
    esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful gift for his teacher. I'm sure she will love it! I love your linen look with the pop of colour. Very nice indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've received many gifts as a 1st grade teacher, never as wonderful as the one you made. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely tote! I really think that the inside strip is a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete