Friday, July 5, 2013

T in Comma

I am feeling a bit sentimental today. Exactly two years ago, we arrived back in Germany after four wonderful years in San Diego. It's been two years without the ocean and the beach, walks along the bay, without the amazing San Diego Zoo, without fish tacos, sunset and dolphin watching, ... *sigh*

Sorry, I had to get this out, I'm back in happy mode now! Did I tell you that I have a wonderful husband? Who buys me sewing books? A while ago, I got the Stylish Dress Book from him. We have only one Amazon account and I had put it in the shopping cart. And when he bought himself a book, he just ordered it for me. And when it came, I was in dress dreamland!


I had a hard time deciding what to make first and finally settled on Style T. I even choose fabric that comes close to the one used in the book. Some black voile and the main fabric is from the line Comma.


Thank goodness I made a muslin with cheap fabric first. Because the first try hung like a potato sack on me. The bodice was way too short, and the skirt too boxy and long. So when I cut into the good fabric, I made the necessary alterations to the pattern. However, I still thought the bodice was a bit to short, so I just added some more black on the bottom. I'm pleased how it turned out, it gives a bit more waist to the dress. Which is good, because let's be honest, I'm not a tiny Japanese woman who can pull off those loose styles easily...

I'm linking up with Batdog today for TGIFF (you have to check him out!) and crazy mom quilts!

7 comments:

  1. You did such a nice job with the dress. I love it with the leggings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great Kerstin! Lucky you to gewt sewing books from your hb!x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks very nice! Nice weekend! Maria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is lovely! And lovely hubbie too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE this. First of all, the cream and black are stunning together, but more importantly, the shape is so simple and elegant! My eye is drawn to that neckline.

    We have some Stylish Dress Bookfans on Kollabora, the online crafters' community I'm part of. Come by and check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ah, thanks for this review - I just made a muslin for the bodice on this dress and it was WAY too short (I'm 5'7) so I'm glad I found this blog post to confirm my guess that I would need to add a lot of length..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful. So very flattering on you too.

    ReplyDelete