Monday, June 17, 2013

Before and after

When my brother and me were little, we had a small table, small chairs and a small bench. We spend countless hours at this table. We even had a real steering wheel from a car and so we played "bus" a lot by arraning the furniture like seats in a bus. Somehow, my brother always got to be the driver. Anyway, when my mother asked me whether I would like to have the bench, the only remaining piece of that set, I was thrilled. The only problem was: it was over 30 years old and looked the part, too.

Here's a before shot:


Being a quilter, I wanted to incorporate that in the bench. And what's better than a hexagon? Lots of them!


 There are a lot of favorites in there, some Heather Ross dwarfs, a Red Riding Hood, lots of mushrooms, strawberries, bugs, dinosaurs, you name it. (I also wanted to make it a bit of "I spy" for my boys.) So after I had pieced them all together by hand, I took some batting and quilted it with straight lines on the batting.
And then I upholstered the bench seat with it by stapling it to the wood (of course I had removed the ugly tan and brown cover before!)

 
And after a good cleaning, a lot of primer and paint and reattaching the seat, it now looks like this:


Not too shabby for it's age, no?


3 comments:

  1. Wie süß ist das denn.Hexagönchen!!Entzückend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I can't believe it is 30 years old after looking at your renovation! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete