Thursday, May 23, 2013

Trip around the Ocean

Happy Friday! Another week gone, this one with not much sewing for me. My boys were on vacation from pre-school, so we did a lot of activities together (think of dinosaur skeletons, lots of time on the playground, potting plants,...). We had a good time, even though the weather feels more like October than June!

I did get one quilt done, however. I really, really wanted to get this finished in time for Blogger's Quilt Festival, and yesterday evening around 11.15 pm I finally succeeded (even though I was too late to actually enter it in the competition, but whatever!).


I started this baby quite a while ago, even before the whole "scrappy trip around the world" hype. But as usual, other stuff came in between and it hung there on my design wall. Until I could not take it any longer and finally got on with it. It's pretty big, around 82 by 82 inches, and it now lives on our bed. My husband could not believe it when he saw it, it only took two years to make a new quilt for our bed (when we moved to our current place, we bought a bigger bed and the old quilt did not fit anymore).

And I never thought I'll show a photo of my bed to everyone out there, but here goes:


I made this quilt with a Kona Cotton Poseidon fat quarter bundle. The square are 3 inches, that was the best way to cut the fat quarters to get the most squares out of them and have the least scraps.


I have to admit it's a bit intense after almost two years of looking at plain white sheets, but I absolutely love it. For the backing, I went to my go-to shirt factory and was able to pick up some striped shirting that fit perfectly:



Have a nice weekend,
Kerstin

I'm linking up with TGIFF, which is over at Sew Hungry this week, and crazy mom quilts!

14 comments:

  1. That is beautiful! I love the colours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it's gorgeous, Kerstin! I love Trip Around the World quilts. Good for you for figuring out how best to maximize that bundle. Hope you share this for the Fall Blogger's Quilt Festival.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful quilt, and love the soothing colors!

    -Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so stunning! Congratulations on such a great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The border is a brilliant idea. It makes a great quilt fabulous. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful quilt. Well done! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's beautiful!! I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. fabulous colors! I love the boarders :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautiful! I love the colors - very beachy. Thanks for linking up with TGIFF. I love the name of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So strickingly beautiful! Peaceful and energetic at the same time!

    Esther
    ipatchandquilt dot wordpress dot com
    esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love how it's turned out. So pretty. I enjoy seeing what others have made with the same bundle - I really need to return to my quilt top soon and finish that baby. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Kerstin--I love this so much! It's perfect for a bedroom--cool and soothing while energetic enough to not be boring. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just gorgeous - love the pretty shades of blue and the name for it is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful. Great colors and congrats on the finish.

    ReplyDelete