Wednesday, March 20, 2013

WIP Wednesday: Bee block sweat shop

After a long while, it's great to be able to link up to WIP Wednesday again.


I've been running a little bee block sweat shop yesterday. I was seriously behind in my bees, and I really needed this to be done so I can mail them off today. I'm going on a trip on Friday, and I wanted to tie up loose ends before that.

I managed to screw the first one up - big time. Angela wanted to have the Shoo fly block from Svetlana for her month in the San Diego Modern Quilt Guild Bee, which seems to be easy enough. Well, I had exactly three squares of the white fabric (Aneela Hoey's Cherry Christmas). Two squares need to be 5", one need to be 4.5". What I did not recognize was that Angela had already cut one down to 4.5". So I took one of the 5 inch ones and cut this one as well. When I realized my mistake, a little panic broke out in my sewing room. I tried to fix it as best I could by reattaching it and making it work (you can see it in the lower left corner). I hope Angela can still use it, the measurements are correct.


Next up was Angela D, and this time I really, really took care to follow instructions and make it right.


I had to add a little Joel Dewberry and Heather Bailey from my stash to make a second block, I hope she'll like it.

I made a block for the SDMQG's charity quilt:


And last but not least, my blocks for Aylin for the Bee Germany:


I must say, the curves were not as bad as I feared, I really had fun doing this. Maybe there's a quilt with curves for me in the near future...

About my trip: Does anyone have some tips about fabric shopping in Kyoto, Japan?

7 comments:

  1. All lovely blocks Kerstin. Nice save with the Shoo Fly too. Enjoy your trip (I am crying with jealousy!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. love your fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful blocks, I particularly like the blues for the Bee German, I have some of those fabrics in a pink, orange colourway

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good save! Looks like a good tying up of loose ends, some lovely blocks there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the fabric and colour choice for your Charity Quilt Block :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your title made me laugh - I'm running behind on my bee blocks too.

    ReplyDelete