Thursday, March 7, 2013

Posy Patchwork

It's kind of funny, in my head, I always plan ahead for this blog, which post on what day etc., and then something always comes up and I end up not posting at all. Lack of sewing, no photos taken of the stuff I made, no time, kids are sick,... you name it.

But today I have to show a little something, it's a finished quilt! *gasp* That hasn't happend in a long time, has it?
One of my friends commissioned me with a baby quilt. A friend of her's is expecting her first baby, and since she also got married recently, my friend wanted to gift her with a combined wedding/baby present. I let her choose the fabric and she settled on Posy by Aneela Hoey. She also wanted a simple design for the quilt. This is what I came up with:


I used two charm packs of Posy and paired it with squares in Kona Cotton Melon, Pond and White. The Melon looks a bit dark in this picture, but it actually paired prefectly with the peachy tones of this line.


For the binding,  I used some pink with white polka dots fabric that I got at my LQS.

But here comes my favorite part about this quilt. The quilting:



I managed to step out of my comfort zone and did some quilting that does not include a single straight line! Hooray for stepping out of my comfort zone. The truth is, I wanted to try the orange peel quilting for a while now, and this quilt seemed perfect for it. But you know how some people are really great at Free Motion Quilting and create the most amazing quilting on their home machines? Well, I'm not one of them. I suck at FMQ, what can I say. So I did this with a walking foot and it was actually quite easy that way. Would anyone be interested in a little tutorial or is this an old hat and anyone knows how to do this and I was only to slow to catch up? Let me know!


I managed to snap those photos in bright sunshine yesterday, we had the nicest spring weather, but I'll be gearing up for winter, which is said to come back this weekend. Oh, how I miss San Diego sometimes...
Hope you'll be able to catch some rays!

Linking up with TGIFF, hosted by the very talented M-R, and crazy mom quilts!

14 comments:

  1. Hi Kerstin! This is so beautiful quilt! Colours are wonderful and I like the simple square pattern! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is just the sweetest little quilt! And the quilting is perfect. I would love a tutorial on how to do it with a walking foot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a sweet quilt! And I love the quilting. I'd definitely be up for trying this whereas I know if I tried to fmq a quilt I'd just ruin it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great little quilt! I love the quilting...always wanted to try the orange peel look too. Never thought about using a walking foot, though. Might have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so sweet and your quilting is fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice! Did you mark the quilt beforehand, or just use the patchwork as a guide?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The colors do pair up very well. Your friend's friend surely will love it. I'm impressed with the walking foot quilting; I stink at both FMQ and walking foot. You give me hope I might perhaps be able to pull my next attempt off successfully. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Posy and this is such a sweet quilt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely quilt! I also just finished up a quilt using Posy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never would have thought to do quilting like the orange peel with a walking foot. I also suck at FMQ so doing curves with a walking foot would open up a whole new world of quilting options.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kerstin, your quilt is beautiful. I LOVE how you quilted it too!! I am not very brave yet to do anything but straight lines, but you did an awesome job!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely! You friend is going to be so pleased, Kerstin! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a great baby quilt - it is very playful and bright. Your friend will love it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice quilting! I would like a tutorial, perhaps that will give me the courage to do the orange peels : it is a gorgeous pattern!

    ReplyDelete