Friday, March 15, 2013

Somewhere over the rainbow

Do you know this happy feeling when after a long, dark and cold winter spring comes with sunshine, 15 degrees Celsius warmth and the first tulips in your garden? Feels pretty great, no? But you know what sucks? When it's not here to stay and it's replaced by cold wind freezing temperatures and snow. In mid March! The Ides of March, indeed!!! Sorry, I just had to get this out, we woke up to a layer of snow this morning and I just have enough of the cold and of bundling up my children in snowsuits. Especially after this taste of spring we had last week...

At least we have sunshine, so it kind of feels like we'll reach the end of the rainbow eventually. I decided to help a little bit with my latest finish.


I think this might be my favorite quilt I made so far. Seriously, I'm in love with this one. And that's why I will give it away. One of my best friends just had her third baby, a little girl after two boys. She lives in Australia and I have no idea when I'll see her again (in person, not just on Skype), so I'll send her a little love with this quilt.

The middle block is my favorite of them all
This quilt was actually started on a whim. My friend Monika choose this block for her month in the Bee Germany in January. It's an adaptation of the Octagonal Orbs block by Elizabeth Hartmann. I had so much fun making it that I decided to make a quilt of my own. It quickly became a rainbow quilt and voila, that's the end result.


It's quite big for a baby quilt, a bit larger than crib size, about 50 by 70 inches. The back was a lucky find. I have this factory close by that makes dress shirts, and they also sell fabric. By the pound, so you get really nice shirting fabric for not a lot of money. I went there in the hope to find something yellow, and got away with the perfect fabric. And when I put it on the floor for see how big it was, it fit the quilt top perfectly. I did not have to add or cut off a lot.


Quilting wise, I wanted to do something that mirrors the blocks.


And the binding is some Art Gallery fabric that I picked up in my LQS. I wanted to use yellow and white stripes, but they did not have anything, but I guess that's a good alternative.


Wow, that was a long a picture heavy post! If you are still with me: May your weekend be full of sunshine and rainbows!

I'm linking up with TGIFF and crazy mom quilts!


15 comments:

  1. This is beautiful quilt! Great pattern because you can use all the wonderful colours! Have a great weekend! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a beautiful quilt, I'm surprised you can bear to give it away! And great having that shirt factory nearby :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so gorgeous! Love all of the colors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very colorful. I like the borders on just the top and the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful, cheery quilt! It would brighten any mother's day --- your friend and her baby will be quite lucky indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all the colors! Any baby would appreciate them ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like this!
    It feels so modern and fresh!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a wonderful finish and the rainbow geek will work great :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful quilt. The yellow backing is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Saw this on Flickr and thought wow! Great use of the colours and lucky recipient. Congrats on a brilliantly happy quilt :

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's gorgeous, I love the rainbow of colours on the front... I may have to have a go at that one myself.
    Also what a lovely gift for someone, I think your friend will be very happy with that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! And isn't there a rule that you should visit your favorite quilts every so often? Australia sounds like a perfect place for this quilt:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It must be something in the air; everyone is trying to coax Spring to stay by hanging beautifully made and colored quilts outside! Hope it brings Spring to you soon in Germany!

    ReplyDelete