Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Finding Nemo

Guess who moved in with us? Nemo and Bruce! And it looks like they are here to stay...

I guess you all know about Mardi Grass and Carnival, right? Well, in Germany it's called Fasching, or Karneval, or in our region, Fasnacht. That's the time of year when kids dress up. My sons were very clear this year what they wanted to be: a clownfish and a shark. No, they have never seen the movie. It's just that my bigger kid has this stuffed clownfish that he loves, and we go to the aquarium a lot.


Being a sewist, it was a question of honor to make it myself (plus I hated all the clownfish costumes I saw online). So off I went to the fabric store and came home with some knit fabric. I really don't know what this is called in English, it feels like a velveteen, but it's a stretchy knit fabric. In German, it's called Nicki. Maybe someone can help me out here? I found out by now that's a cotton velour knit. Anyway, since the fabric was a bit on the pricey side, I wanted to make something that can be worn not just for Fasching. The hoodie of my clownfish outfit as well as the pants are from the latest Ottobre magazine (1/2013, pattern 26 and 27). I'm not gonna lie, it was a pain to make the stripes. The fabric was pilling like crazy, kind of like minkee. But my son's face lit up when he saw it, and I knew it was worth the effort.

Every fish need his fins
As for Bruce, I mean the shark costume, that one is a Burda pattern. That was once again a prime example that I don't really get what they want in their instructions. Maybe I'm too stupid, I don't know, but I read the instruction and my brain is unable to process what has to be done. So I tossed them aside and flew sewed blind. And I guess I know enough about sewing by now to not mess it up (yes, I am proud of that).


Now I only have one tiny problem: They don't want to take it off anymore...


Linking up to Creadienstag!

1 comment:

  1. So cute! You did such a wonderful job with these costumes - no wonder they don't want to take them off.

    ReplyDelete