Friday, November 23, 2012

T.G.I.F.T.Q.!!!

= Thank Goodness I Finished This Quilt!!!!


Did you ever have this, that you started a quilt and thought: "Oh, it's just squares, I'll have that one finished in no time!"
Hey, well, pride comes before the fall. This quilt was comissioned by my sister-in-law. Her best friend just had a baby and she wanted to give a quilt. The new mom wanted a  simple design with squares. Since I knew it would be a girl, I thought that would be the perfect occassion to use my two charm packs of Aneela Hoey's A walk in the woods. So I put it all up on my design wall and did not like it at all. Something about these squares together just did not look right to me, there was too much going on. I needed to loose it all up. I ended up with nine patch blocks, the center block being solid white and with sashing in between the blocks. Simple enough, right? The quilt top was not the problem, that one came together quickly. But form there, it went downhill fast. It was requested that the quilt is a bit thicker, so I bought some really thick polyester batting. Turns out this was a little bit too thick, I hated the look of it. So I had to unbaste it, change the batting out (another fluffy polyester thing, but not as thick) and went to work quilting it. I thought I go with simple lattice lines. Well, after I had quilted half the quilt, I noticed there was a lot of puckering and the lines were not as straight as they should be, it was all very much on the crooked side. Let's just say the seam ripper and me have become very good friends now...


I basted the whole thing again, with about twice as much needles, and I marked the quilting lines with a ruler before I went anywhere near the sewing machine with it. I guess it turned out alright, but I'm glad this one went out the door and I won't have to look at it all the time....

Here's a better look at the fabric for the back, I had this one in my stash and I think it fits well with the little foxes, mushrooms and Red Riding Hood on the front.


Have a good weekend everyone!


I'm linking up with Em of Sewing by Moonlight, who is hosting TGIFF today and Amandajean from crazy mom quilts!


9 comments:

  1. Glad you finished it! It looks beautiful; and I love that fabric line. The challenges are all part of the process, right? (that's what I'm telling myself about the marker on my mini!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! What a frustrating process! But the final product is gorgeous. Really just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great quick little baby quilt. I have boys so I am happy to work on a quilt for a girl now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a happy ending. It certainly looks like a lovely quilt. I don't think I would have the patience to unpick so much. I have only made a couple of quilts. The first one I used the curved safety pins to sandwich it and hated it. The next couple I used spray basting glue and just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks super cute and very girly. I too have had simliar things happen and know how frustrating that can be. I am glad you got it done and it turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was worth sticking with it because your quilt turned out beautifully! I love the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It did turn out beautifully! I think we've all had that one quilt that just had issues :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how the final quilting turned out; even if it was a frustrating process getting there.

    ReplyDelete