Wednesday, October 31, 2012

WIP Wednesday: Crazy!

Happy Halloween! It's been a while since I linked up with Lee for WIP Wednesday...


 I just did not do so much sewing, just finished up this quilt. But now that that's of my table, I started new things. And I guess I have just official lost my mind.

My sister-in-law's BFF just had a baby, so I got commissioned with a baby quilt. She wanted to have something simple, a plain patchwork design. I showed my s-i-l some fabric and she picked A walk in the woods by Aneela Hoey. I had two charm packs and started laying out the squares on my design wall. But seeing them all like this, it just felt too much somehow, too cramped. So I added some white and made some nine patch blocks. Much better!


I had planned to finish this yesterday, and started basting it on Monday night. But I guess I'm in for a little more work - like undoing all the pins and basting it again. Here's the thing: The new mom wanted to have a thicker, cushier quilt. I bought some thick batting (polyester, ugh!). And I absolutely hate it.


So what do you think, should I just see this through or should I do it again with a nice cotton batting, even if it's thinner?

And now on to the crazy. The last time my parents came to visit, the brought a little bench for the children. Not just any bench, the one that already my brother and me used. So it's over 30 years old already. It needs new upholstery. And why just use a big piece of fabric when you can join tiny little pieces together?


Too be honest, that was not my idea alone, my friend Monika did this chair and I love it.  Here's what I've got so far. This will probably take forever, but I can already see them sitting on the bench playing I spy...



6 comments:

  1. I adore your I Spy bench cover idea! Tough call on the quilt batting... I guess I'd have to go with what new mommy wants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that bench is going to be adorable! So clever. Best of luck with the baby quilt - the top is great - hope the pufffy batting behaves for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great idea! I am stopping by from the WIP hop :) http://domesticdeficitdisorder.blogspot.com/2012/10/wednesday-wips.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your hexies are awesome. I love all the fussy cut details. Its going to make the bench super special!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the bench and what you plan to do with it and the baby quilt is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cotton, cotton for the quilt.... (I can sympathize, having that requested). I spy hexie bench cover - awesome...

    ReplyDelete