Friday, October 5, 2012

Stairway to the Rainbow

Lately, I feel like I'm taking one step forward and two steps back. Hm, maybe the other way round, it's not that bad. But last week I wrote something about tending to my sick kids, right? Well, I'm happy to report that the kids are healthy again. And I'm also happy to report that I'm now on the mend as well. Hey, today is the first day I ate breakfast and lunch and could keep it inside! Sorry, was that too much detail? But as soon as the kids were fine again, I was not anymore. Normally, I'm the one to hold it all together and my hubby is the one who gets it! (Not that I wish that for him!!!) He was great, staying home from work, tending to the children, taking care of me - what more could a gal want? But seriously, being sick sucks and I'm glad I'm getting better. I guess by this prattling on I'm trying to explain my abscence from this space this past week...

Anyway, in the two days between the kid's sickness and mine, I was able to finish a quilt. And it is, can you guess, another baby quilt! And guess what else? The little girl who will receive this one is already three month old! I think I should rename my blog into something like "The almost always late with the baby quilt quilter"...


I call this my "Stairway to the Rainbow" quilt. It reminds me a bit of a rainbow and also of stairs. Makes sense, no? The fabric is Terrain by Kate Spain, paired with Kona Cotton in white. I used a Jelly Roll and had enough strips left to also do the binding with it.

The back is, uhm, interesting.


The original plan was to use the three solids and connect them with Terrain strips in between. Yeah, well, only that was not wide enough, hence the somewhat strange solid strips on the side.

I kept the quilting minimally and just mirrored the white zig zags.


This one won't have to travel far,  it will go across the street to my friend and neighbor Catrin, who had her little Maya at the beginning of July. It's her third, and the little girl looks like the spitting image of the oldest brother (he's four). It will be fun to see them grow up together!

I'm linking up with TGIFF, which is at better off thread today, and with crazy mom quilts.

15 comments:

  1. I'd say that beautiful quilt is worth waiting for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The backing is awesome...it's like having a two-sided quilt. Nice finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully done! I'm sure the baby and the mom both appreciate this wonderful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this quilt. Terrain is one of my favorite fabric lines and you used it beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it, I have a thing for rainbow quilts these days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's beautiful and I like the backing - it just looks pieced. Like it actually is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely design, great shades of fabric :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear you (and the kids!) are feeling better. Well done on getting a quilt finished in the midst of all that! Such a sweet little baby quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad everyone is feeling better and the baby quilt I am sure is going to be just as much loved now as it would have been 3 months ago!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can you tell me what pattern you used? I have been saving my "Terrain" and I love this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a nice neighbour - I like the name of the quilt too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Be veгy carеful with washing
    ѕoda and uѕе gloνеs as
    it is remaгκably alkalіne. Үοu may well
    be equipped to aсhieve sought аfter respect and track record with assist of youг stгength and bravery.
    In 1915 thе wormwood wаs taken out and the lіqueur diluteԁ
    to its reсent power.

    Look into my wеb-site identi.ca

    ReplyDelete
  13. I everу time emailed this wеbpagе post
    page to all my frіenԁs, sincе if like tο rеad it then mу cоntacts
    will too.

    my web sitе - Chemietoilette
    My website - http://www.pmoblog.kr/343

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi thеre, I do thinκ youг ωebsitе сould рossiblу be havіng web
    browseг cοmpatіbilіtу іssuеs.
    Whеnеver Ι taκe a look at your ѕіte in
    Sаfaгi, іt looκs fine howevеr, whеn
    openіng in Internеt Exрlorer, it has somе oνeгlapping isѕuеs.
    ӏ simply wantеd to provіdе уou wіth а quіck heаdѕ up!

    Asidе from that, fantаѕtic blog!

    Also vіsіt my webpagе; Chemietoilette

    ReplyDelete