Friday, October 26, 2012

Salty Sharks

I finally finished my Salt Air quilt last night! But this morning, it was already renamed into Salty Sharks...


My older son (he's 4) is very interested in every quilt I make and believes it's for him. He really likes Stars, so when he saw this one, he really loved it. And he loved it even more when he discovered the fishtails on the fabric. And since every bigger fishtail is a shark's tail in his eyes, he called it his shark quilt. Hence the name Salty Sharks was born!


It took me way too long to finish this one! It was supposed to be our summer quilt for the sofa. But then I had this idea in my mind to hand quilt it, but I hated the look of it. It was a bit overwhelming and took the focus from the star flowers. Don't you hate it when the vision in your head clashes with the image before you? Anyway, I ripped it all out again and now I decided to stay true to the nautical theme and quilt it with wavy lines.

I used two charm packs of Cosmo Cricket's Salt Air fabric, but made the star flowers in different sizes. I followed the star flower block tutorial from Jennifer of Ellison Lane Quilts. The solid is Kona Cotton Aqua. Since I had leftover strips from where I cut the charms smaller, I made a little improv pieced panel for the back.

 
And here's a full view of the back:


The back is pieced with the improv panel, sashed in Kona Cotton Papaya, and some midnight blue shirting fabric. It's bound in Kona Cotton Crimson. The whole quilt measures 70 x 55 inches, so it's a generous lap size. I can't wait to snuggle under it!

Oh, and it's a good thing I finished it yesterday, so I can link up today for Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side and with crazy mom quilts!




38 comments:

  1. Gorgeous quilt! Love that your little one has a part in naming it - so nice to know your work is appreciated isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The story of the quilt's name just made me smile! Congrats to a great finish (love your wavy quilting!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great quilt and I love the back too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely. I love the colors and the variety of block sizes. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's gorgeous, but my favourite part is the name and how he came up with it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely! And I love the name. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the story of how you got the name! It's such a great quilt, both sides!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great name for a great quilt :) so glad to see this finished. You know I loved your stars right from the beginning... And your background too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. such a fun quilt, and the back is just as great on it's own :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous quilt - love the fabrics and your wavy quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great quilt and story of the name. Very reversible quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh its lovely, I love the colours and how it got its new name! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think Salty Sharks sounds great. Love the fabric you have used. Your quilt looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this quilt, great design and love the aqua background. I've got a jelly roll of Salt Air waiting to be used - this has reminded me what lovely fabric it is!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's a wonderful quilt, I hope your son snuggles under it with you since it sounds like it really is his.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's a wonderful quilt! I like the wavy quilting lines.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is beautiful! I like your color palette!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Really stunning, i love this:))

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome quilt - can't decide if I like the back or the front more! =) Love your blog. =)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks fantastic. Great name too. Don't you just love how the little ones think!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The stars are gorgeous and I really like the wave line quilting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. It looks great with the stars in different sizes. And thank you for sharing the renaming story.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a wonderful quilt - love the stars! And the story of how the quilt got it's name is so sweet. So sad about having to rip out the quilting, but it does look good now with the wavy quilting. I love your little improv block on the back!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The autumn colors are so beautiful on the aqua... Great quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is lovely. I especially like how you laid out the stars--beautiful job! My 4-yr-old loves sharks and stars, too--he would love this :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful! I love that you son calls the tails shark tails, my boys would do the same thing. I do love the wavy quilting, it's perfect for this quilt. I can't imagine how long it must have taken to rip all your previous hand quilting out.

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's beautiful, Kerstin. Love those colours and the name!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love your stars and the different sizes. And the back is as wonderful as the front!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love the graphic quality of this quilt and the colors you used. Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love it and the name is fantastic. Always love stars but salty sharks is fun. Thanks for sharing and have a great day

    ReplyDelete