Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Let's get acquainted! My turn!

Hi everyone, today it's my turn on the Let's get acquainted blog hop! I'm so glad you are here, look around and make yourself right at home...


I'd like to  say a big THANK YOU! to Beth from Plum and June for organizing this wonderful blog hop. I've discovered so many great blogs and tutorials through this. Oh, and don't forget to hop over to Jenniffier's blog who's posting along with me today!

So for those of you who are here the first time today, let me tell you a little bit about myself. My name is Kerstin, and I live together with my husband and two little boys in the south of Germany. My mother taught me how to sew when I was a little girl, but I've really gotten back into it about five years ago. I made a quilt for my newborn son and was hooked! I love quilting, but I also love to sew clothes, so I alternate between the two. Here's a little peek at what I've been sewing up this year:



And here's the naked truth And here are some fun facts:

How long have I been quilting?
I've been seriously quilting for about five years now. There were a few patchwork blankets before that, but I really had no clue what I was doing...

Favorite quilting tips?
Always get the best possible tools that you can afford (rotary cutter, pins etc) and the more pins for basting, the better!

Favorite blogging tips?
It's your blog, you can and should write whatever you want and not what you think people want to read. Stay true to yourself. Have fun!

Favorite fabric?
There are so many I just love! But if I'd have to pick only one line, I'd go with Little Folks by Anna Maria Horner.

Favorite craft book?
Hm, that's a tie between Anna Maria Horner's book  Handmade Beginnings and Heather Ross' book Weekend Sewing.

Favorite book?
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Favorite children's book?
The hungry little caterpillar by Eric Carle

Favorite quilting tools?
Rotary cutter, my 6.5 inch square ruler, my sewing machine

Favorite music to listen to while quilting?
I usually listen to the radio or NPR podcasts. One of my favorites is Car Talk. Those guys just crack me up!

Favorite TV show while handstitching?
Grey's Anatomy

Binding by hand or machine?
Always by hand, it just looks nicer.

If I'd only known before I started this little blog...
How much work it is to post regularly. But that this work is so worth it because you get to meet so many nice fellow quilters out there, all over the world!

So now you know everything a lot more about me!

I also cooked up a little tutorial for you! I made a fall themed table runner,  and it combines improvisational piecing, applique and hand quilting.

 
Here's what you'll need:

- Strips or scraps of fall colored fabric
- 1 yard each of white and red colored fabric (the off white I used is some Bella Solid I don't know the name of anymore and the red is Kona Cardinal)
- paper templates of leafs (just turn to nature for inspiration!)
- lightweight fusible interfacing
- 1/4 yard of brown fabric for the binding
- batting
- embroidery floss

I started with taking four strips and sewed them together.


Next, I cut them up again with the rotary cutter:


The I added some more strips to get a bigger piece again:

Just piece it together improvisational!
Then I took out my paper templates and cut out leafs:



 After I put some lightweight fusible interfacing on the back of the leafs, I arranged them on a 15" square of white fabric and appliqued it with zig-zag stitches:


I added some red sashing around this block and joined three blocks in a row. The, I basted it like any other quilt sandwich:



I machine quilted in double lines around the white blocks, one line of stitches inside the block and one on the outside on the red sashing:


Then, I added some hand quilting with the embroidery floss around the leafs:


And last but not least, I attached the brown binding. And now it looks quite nice on my table, especially with the felt leaf garland I made last year!


I hope you enjoyed your visit here and maybe I could temp you to make a fall table runner for yourself?

And don't forget to visit my fellow blog hoppers this week:

Oct 23
         Tracey from The Peony Teacup
         Megan from City Stitches

Oct 25
        Kerstin from Sunset Sewing
        Jenniffier from Jenniffier's Sometimes Creative Life

Oct 30
        Shena from Apple Pie Patchwork
        Janice from better off thread

25 comments:

  1. That is such a sweet table runner! Love it!

    Love your other gorgeous projects too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohh they make red "Trip-Trap" chairs nowadays I would have loved one of them ... ok I got a little bit side tracked there - well I can't say I'm tempted to make a table runner, roudn tabels and table runner don't match ... but I like the way you made the leaf-blocks I might try them - if I have time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, it's lovely to meet you. You have some gorgeous makes and that table runner is just lovely. The perfect decoration for this time of year. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kerstin, great post, love the hand stitching around your Autumn leaves on the table runner. It was fun finding out more about you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, you have some very nice finishes. I have been quilting for awhile but am nervous somehow to make clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to meet you Kerstin, your table runner is lovely. Nice tutorial too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So fun to learn about you today and what a cute table runner you made. Glad to share the hop day with you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a lovely table runner. You really have made some beautiful quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That table runner is just gorgeous! I love your chevron quilts too :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice to meet, your table runner tutorial is great. You have made some beautiful quilts. Your children clothing is so cute, garment sewing is going next on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those car talk guys are hilarious! Thanks for the "naked truth" and sharing your tutorial!
    cheers
    -k

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is SO cute! I love the table runner. How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enjoyed the tutorial on your lovely table runner. Thanks for sharing today. Judith, Texas

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice to meet you! I love your table runner with the combination of improv piecing and hand quilting - lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So nice to get to know more about you - love your table runner!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice to meet you. Your table runner is sew adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the colors in your table runner and the way you put together and cut out your leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  18. neat tutorial and your chevron quilt is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the scrappy Autumn leaf idea! I'll have to remember that :)

    It was lovely to meet you, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great post and tutorial! I like everything in your mosaic!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Kirsten, nice to meet you on the blog hop! Your projects are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love trees and leaves! Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's a really great idea - your leaves are lovely. Nice to meet you on the hop!

    ReplyDelete
  24. So many nice quilts and clothes you have made. Thanks for sharing on the blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nice to meet you Kerstin . . . love your quilt mosaic. I like how you pieced the leaves for the table runner.

    ReplyDelete