Wednesday, June 13, 2012

WIP Wednesday: UFO to WIP

Another week gone by, and this time I really got some things done. I finished the zig zag quilt from last week's post, I am halfway through with another quilt, I started a new one and I made some bee blocks. Not too shabby, no?

This quilt came close to being a UFO. I had made the blocks in January, and then pieced them into strips, and then... nothing. It just sat on my shelf and I was thinking that sewing strips into a quilt top is so much less fun than starting something else. But last week, I looked at the pile and it started bothering me. So one evening I set to work and finished the top. The next morning I pieced a back and even basted it.


And now I just have to quilt it. The fabric of this one is Terrain by Kate Spain, together with Kona white. It's really funny, until recently I never used white as a solid, and now I seem to use it almost exclusively! I have enough strips left from the jelly roll, so I will use that for the binding.


The new quilt I started will be made from leftovers.  The zig zag quilt was made with a layer cake, and after I saw this fabulouse quilt, I knew what I wanted to make. And since I really love log cabins blocks, it's the perfect use for the fabric.


And last but not least this week, I made two more blocks for Amanda for our SD bee (the bee of members of the San Diego Modern Quilt Guild, and I'm proud to be still considered a member!). This was a lot of fun to make. Amanda just asked for two blocks, but since I had enough fabric for an extra one, I just couldn't stop myself...



And now I'll check out all the other fabulous projects at



16 comments:

  1. The zig zag quilt looks great. I like the log cabin set with the mostly white blocks too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the zigzag quilt! But then I saw your SD Bee blocks - LOVE them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kerstin, I love the terrain zig zag. The color blending is just beautiful. I can't believe it was almost a UFO.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The zig zag looks great! Aren't you glad to have it done, or almost done! I love that feeling of removing something that's been weighing on me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The zig zag quilt drew me in - fantastic job!
    I love the blocks you're doing with the 10 Little Things fabric! I just picked up my 10 Little Things quilt from the quilter last night - I just have to bind it and deliver it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. GASP! I love Kate Spain and I LOVE what you have done with Terrain! I've got a layer cake of Simply Color coming and have been wondering what to do with it. This may just be my inspiration. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must have seen that zig zag quilt before, because I know I got out the graph paper to try to copy you, but I couldn't! I just couldn't figure it out! :)
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. :) I think it looks really great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah to getting things done! I love how your quilts are coming along especially the log cabin blocks that you are making. What a great use of your scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You always make the most stunning quilts when I drift through WIP Wednesday! And that's a stunning use of Terrain - it looks wonderful. :)

    Those bee blocks look so charming - a bit like a kids move-around block puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the Terrain zig zag quilt - the colour graduation is so effective!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really love your Terrain zig zag quilt and bee blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your Terrain quilt! I have a jelly roll of that line still waiting to become a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Meine Güte - der ZickZack ist super geworden!!! Und die anderen Blöcke sehen auch gut aus, great idea! ... ich würde auch zu gerne einen neuen Quilt anfangen ... aber Zeit ist knapp ... aber so langsam juckt es wieder in den Fingern ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have been busy! I love your zig zag :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The terrain quilt looks great. Fantastic colors. I also love the San diego modern quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hallo, der Zick-Zack-Quilt ist wunderschön. Ich nähe auch schon eine Weile Patch; das sind im Prinzip nur Quadrate - halb weiß, halb farbig - und dann längs und quer wechselnd den Zick-Zack gelegt? liebe Grüße Ulrike

    ReplyDelete