Wednesday, June 6, 2012

WIP Wednesday: Back in the saddle

It's Wednesday, and I actually have some quilt related items to share! I've been slacking a bit the last two week, it was a mixture of no time, no inspiration, no energie that kept me from quilting. But now I feel like I'm back in the saddle.

I started this little quilt last Saturday. A friend of mine had her third child last week, a beautiful baby boy. She was one of the first people I got to know here after our move last year, and we've become friends really fast. So it was no question that I would make her little boy a quilt.


The fabric is Kona white mixed with 10 little things by Jenn Ski. I love her art, especially for kids, so I was really excited when she came out with this fabric line. And it's great for boys, which is not so common (no pink in this line, thank goodness!). I started this last Saturday and yesterday I finished the quilting with orange thread.


Now I just have to decide on how to bind it. My choices are Kona Lemon, Tangerine or Cardinal. Any suggestions?



On top of that, I made my first bee block! I'm part of the SD Bee, which is the bee of the San Diego Modern Quilt Guild. I'm so thrilled that the others are willing to send me their fabric all the way to Germany so I can be a part of this. Oh, how I miss the monthly meetings...


The first one in the bee is Amanda. She send us some Kona Sage and Everglade and asked us to pair it with red, orange or yellow scraps from our stash. Her circut board quilt will be gorgeous! This is so much fun to make. I have to make another block for her, this one already took much longer since I measured, ripped apart and sewed again to make it perfect.  Well, almost perfect, that little bend in the middle row is far from it, but after ripping it apart for three times I gave up...

I'm linking up with Lee from freshly pieced for WIP Wednesday! Yay!



19 comments:

  1. What a great baby quilt. I bet it will be loved by the recipient! Those prints and colours are scrummy! My vote for the binding would be the tangerine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the zig zag quilt. I think it'd look great with a red binding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt is wonderful, I would choose the red. I just think it will frame it all very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the zig zags! I am also working on quilt using 10 little things, I rarely make boy quilts. But love this line!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forgot to put in my comment, I like the red with your fabrics

    ReplyDelete
  6. Popping in from WIP Wednesday, I really like your zigzag quilt, I would go with either the red or tangerine for binding, which isn't much help I know, but they are both ideal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the red for the binding. That's a very cute boy quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those zig zags are great! What a gorgeous gift it'll be :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great baby quilt. For the binding, I'd go with the tangarine... as there seem to be quite a few pops of tangarine in the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun zig zag quilt! I love the colors you chose. Your friend and her son will love it! And I love how you quilted it with orange thread. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw your chevron quilt over at Freshly Pieced. Very cool. Oh, for the binding use all three colors for a scrappy look.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Popping in from WIP Wednesday to say Hi! Your quilt is beautiful and I think the tangerine binding would look great for it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the baby boy chevron quilt! I'd go for Cardinal, but that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tangerine. :)

    I love the zig zag quilt, too. I made two strips for the do.Good Stitches bee, and loved it!! It did go fast, and the visual impact is very powerful! Yours looks great! :)

    I got to go back to LA last weekend and went to the LA MQG meeting, and it felt like I was home again. I sure miss them!!

    Hope you're having a great week

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello fellow European! Gorgeous zig-zags. I love the freshness of the white and the interest of the fabric. I must make one too... JJ

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your quilt! I'm working on a similar (much smaller) version of it right now! I would go with Tangerine to make those colors pop.

    ReplyDelete
  17. you are so very nice....love the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  18. adorable baby quilt! I would go with the tangerine too. the circit board... i cant wait to see the finished product, hope you post a link when its done.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Tangerine I think :) the quilt is lovely

    ReplyDelete