Friday, March 23, 2012

Whirlgiggle with a twist


It seems that I'm on a roll this week! I was able to finish a new top and baste two quilts. And out of those two, I finished this one this morning.
I used the whirlgiggle block tutorial from Amandajean of crazy mom quilts, but I added my own little twist. Instead of having the wheels all turn into the same direction, two rows turn the other way.

This quilt has about crib size, and it's a commission from my mother-in-law. She's the principal of an elementary school, and one of her teachers just had her first baby. She asked me to make a quilt that she can give as a gift. I think the baby is a boy, but even if I am mistaken, this could be used as a gender neutral quilt, no?


 
The fabric is from the DS quilts collection for  Joann's as well as fabric by Tante Ema, which is a German manufacturer. The colors just coordinated so well together. The white is Kona white, and it's bound in Kona cardinal (my favorite red from Kona). I kept the quilting simple, just some (more or less) straight lines in a light green thread.

And on the back? Stripes of course!


I hope everyone will have a nice weekend. I'll be busy celebrating my birthday, but for now, I'm linking up with crazy mom quilts...

9 comments:

  1. Perfect baby quilt. I'm anticipating making a lot of them in the next few years and this design is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that pattern always puts a smile on my mug

    ReplyDelete
  3. i really like how you offset the wonky pinwheels. Congrats on your finish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is really cool! It will suit any baby, boy or girl! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday!! I hope you had a wonderful weekend!

    And you know I love this whirlygiggle pattern...and so will the new mom and her baby - boy or girl. :)

    ReplyDelete