Wednesday, February 8, 2012

WIP Wednesday: Seam ripper edition

Welcome to WIP Wednesday: Seam ripper edition. My seam ripper definitely got a good workout yesterday. Last week I ventured on a mission to reduce the contents of these boxes:


And what started out with this:


became this:


and then this:


Yep, I ripped it all apart again. As I said last week, I really needed to work on my accuracy with this block. And it just does not look good when the seams don't match up in this quilt. I had it up on my design wall and looked and looked at it and it just kept bothering me. So I bit the bullet and just redid it. I also realized a few things along the way. Normally, I'm a press the seams open kinda girl. But with this block, it is much easier to just press them to the side. And it also helps to trim the blocks into an accurate square before joining them together...

So now I have this:


It's still not 100% right, but I'm getting there. There's something off in the upper right block, but I think I can live with it and hopefully it'll blend in once it'll be quilted (like in a 100 years with the pace I'm going right now, haha!)

But I also had a bit of success this past week, I finished the top for my sparkle punch quilt. This one has to be done in two weeks, I'll see my BFF then and give it to here. Hopefully she'll like it...


I'm linking up with Lee from freshly pieced again this week, take a moment to check out all the lovely links over there!






16 comments:

  1. I just love that block. You are going to have one "Happy" quilt when you are finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your scrappy block! I made that block for a pillow swap last year and it was certainly trying!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your sparkle quilt is lovely, and your scrappy block looks a great way to "liberate" the contents of those boxes

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your scrappy pinwheel block. It looks like a lot of work though! Good for you for sticking with it. Your sparkle punch quilt is truly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How could your friend not LOVE that sparkle punch?? Great work on those blocks! I also have been seriously contemplating a mega scrap project...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I love your pinwheel project. :) And Sparkle Punch is guaranteed to make her smile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pinwheel project is awesome! I love your scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your wonky star quilt! So much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that block! And the sparkle punch quilt is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the sparkle punch.....and those blocks are adorable too

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sure your BFF will love the Sparkle Punch quilt! She'd be silly not to! But isn't it funny how, even though we put so much time and effort into something, and everyone (online) says how fab something is, we are still secretly nervous when we give something to someone we love?! :)
    And I still love your paper pieced blocks. I don't see what's off on the top right, but that's just me - I think they're all great!
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know what you mean about the seam ripper. I've named mine after working on some bee blocks. Sally and I have a love hate relationship. The scrappy blocks are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my, those stars are lovely. Your BFF is very lucky! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. She'll love it! that quilt is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just laughed at your post title. I have been there so many times. Your scrappy block is looking good - and the quilt is beautiful!

    ~ Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  16. The greyish sparkle quilt is just gorgeous - it will be well loved I´m sure!
    And the scrappy one - it will be lovely too ...!!

    ReplyDelete