Tuesday, February 28, 2012

WIP Wednesday: Baby quilt week

Lately, I've been up to my arms in baby quilts. No, I don't have happy news to tell. But friends and people all around me are having baby after baby, and they all need quilts, don't they?

Two weeks ago, my dear friends Kathleen and Eric had their second child, a baby girl named Ariana. They are some of my oldest friends (we all met while living in Des Moines 17 years ago!), and I couldn't be happier for them.
I still had the girly half of my City Weekend by Oliver + S charm pack left over (the other half became this), so I thought it would make the perfect quilt for Ariana.


I have to admit, at first I was not so sure about all the colors together and I left out the pink squares. But then it was kind of boring. I added the pink to the mix and now I really like it! I hope to finish this one by the end of the week, I just have to wait for my batting to arrive. I totally ran out of batting last week...

The other baby quilt I'm making right now is for my mother in law. She's the principal of an elementary school, and one of her teachers is having a baby in a few weeks. So she commissioned me to make her a gift. At first, I went with this design:


But when I showed it to her, I could tell from her reaction that she did not like it too much, even if she didn't say so. So I started something else with the same fabric.


I'm pretty sure she'll like this. I used crazy mom quilts' whirlygiggle tutorial. But in case you are wondering, yes, the direction in the middle row is opposite to the others. And yes, that's intentional. I quite like this variation. The only thing I don't like so far is the color composition. With the white as solid, it looks a bit bland. I will add some red to the mix to make it more pop.

After missing out last week, I'm linking up with Lee from freshly pieced again this week. She even has a giveaway this week, so head on over!



10 comments:

  1. We have a lot of babies arriving too (not personally of course). It must be the weather. I love them all, but especially the whirlygiggs. I agree some red would look good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The whirlygigs look great, a pity she didn't like the first design as it looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the whirligigs and the stars are fabulous too - hope you keep going with those!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all of these designs - what lucky babies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think they all look lovely. I've got several babies on the horizon too - but it is a great excuse to make quilts. I always think that that quilt size is great for trying out new things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the pink look perfect in three! Cute baby quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful quilts! I especially love the whirlygiggles - I think adding red would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The first baby blanket design kind of looks like a holiday quilt to me, maybe it's just the colors. LOL I love the whirlygiggles!! I love any variation of pinwheels though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that baby quilt. I have an I spy quilt to make. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kerstin! I want the baby quilt at the top!! :) No, really...maybe just point me in the direction of the pattern? It looks pretty simple, and I'm sure I could figure it out, but if there's a pattern, I'd love to know where it is. It looks SO great! :)
    Everything looks great, though. I love the whirlygiggles, too.

    ReplyDelete