Monday, February 20, 2012

Sparkle, baby, sparkle!

I think I made my BFF very happy this weekend. She came to visit for three days, and we started the weekend off with some shopping, we went out for dinner yesterday evening, we had time for coffee and lots of chats and laughter. But I guess what made her really happy was her birthday present.


Her birthday is on January 31st, but we agreed I would give it to her in person. That gave me a little more time and I really needed it! I sewed on the last of the binding yesterday afternoon, with her sitting next to me...

The last time she came to visit in December, she fell in love with this quilt. I told her I would give her one for her birthday and let her pick some fabric from my stash. She especially liked that brown Amy Butler print, the flowers from Momo's Wonderland line and the greenish print from Tula Pink's Parisville. For the neutral, she wanted to have Kona Ash. I added some more fabric to the mix and wanted to get to work when I came across Elisabeth Hartmann's sparkle punch quilt. Lucky me that she posted a tutorial! I new right away this was the right pattern for my project.

The only thing that I did differently is the back, but that was more of an accident.

 
I had ordered enough fabric to make the back as in the tutorial, but then I needed some red for another project and cut into the one intended for this quilt. So I ended up with not enough and had to improvise.


I just did some wonky stars with the red and all the patterned fabric from the front. The solids I used are Kona Dark Violet, Peridot, Aqua and Cardinal and also bound it in Cardinal. It's funny, when I gave the quilt to my friend, I had the impression she liked the back almost better than the front! I forgot to measure the whole thing, but it's a generous lap size.  She told me this morning when she left that tonight, all she wants to do is cuddle up with the quilt on her couch and watch a movie. Not a bad way to start the week, no? (besides spending the evening in front of your sewing machine, of course!)

I'm linking up with  the Febuary Finishes Linky Party and with Megan from Canoe Ridge Creations!

 


17 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilt!
    I love your quilting, just perfect! And I think I like the back as much as the front!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is just lovely - I was thinking of trying that pattern myself, and you may have just persuaded me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your sparkle quilt. This one is on my to-do list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilt! I'm sure your friend was thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great birthday present! Love those colors:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a really fun quilt, and what a great birthday gift! I love the combination of fabrics in the stars against the Kona Ash. And the back is {as Bob Ross would say} a happy accident. It is a really fun! Congrats on such a beautiful friend.

    Thank you so much for linking up!

    xo -E

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautiful - love the quilting too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can i ask you. yours looks different to Elizabeths finished quilt. Did you modify....? or is this an illusion
    Stunning...love the ash background

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the improvised back looks amazing! And just adore the stars!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great gift - your friend must be very happy. The front is beautiful and the back just perfect. You make such stunning quilts, Kerstin.

    ReplyDelete
  11. She is a lucky friend to get such a pretty quilt! Happy accident!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely love your quilt - I've been wanting to make one myself.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahhhhhh! This is why I want to make a sparkle quilt so badly. Yours. Looks. Amazing. If I can get a couple of more baby quilts finished, I've already got fabric to make mine. Thanks so much for sharing your awesome finish.

    P.S. Would you please consider disabling your word verification?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Darling! What a lucky friend you have!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's gorgeous! I'll bet she feels SO loved! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. great quilt, I like the back too, but not as much as the front.

    ReplyDelete