Wednesday, January 25, 2012

WIP Wednesday

Happy WIP Wednesday everyone! I'm linking up with Lee from freshly pieced this week again after taking a break last week.


I was just so frustrated with my string quilt, and that totally killed my quilting mojo last week. I had started quilting it, but then the bobbing thread got pulled in over and over again. Only after taking my machine apart and cleaning it thoroughly it worked again. And then I thought I attach the binding with the machine. Let me tell you that I really learned my lesson here. I hate the look of it and it is not faster at all. Especially when you have to rip everything apart and attach again...
Oh well, it's now almost done and this past week I read a lot, did not sew at all and had a jolly good time.

But over the weekend, I got into a sewing mood again and decided to cut into my Terrain jelly roll. And many, many blocks later, this is now up on my design wall:


I only need to add three more blocks, and then I can start assembling the top. Any suggestions on how to do it, because I'm not really sure what's the best way. Just piecing the blocks to rows and then the rows together? Or do different sections work better?

By the way, if you would like to cut into Terrain by Kate Spain yourself, I'm giving away a layer cake of it to celebrate one year of blogging. You can enter the giveaway here.

20 comments:

  1. I love your quilt layout! Crazy mom quilts has a zig zag quilt tutorial similar to your layout - I think if you sew each print piece to the white next to it, along the long edge, and then join your blocks together row by row that should work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks fantastic kerstin - love how you've graded the colours

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the gradation of color! I've vote for going in rows!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your zig-zags. This design really suits the fabric:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your zig-zags are so pretty and terrain is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. the colors and layout are great! I did a quilt like this last year but in HST's and I did sections....would NOT do that! Go for rows, much easier to keep the puzzle together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your zig-zag quilt! I'm not sure what the best way to assemble, but I tend to sew blocks together, then rows together. Good luck, I'm sure it will look great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the color gradation against the white! I am doing a similar quilt off of a pattern right now and the suggestion in the book is blocks into rows and then sew the rows together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this quilt! Do you have a pattern you're using?

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow, this is stunning- you have taken Terrain to a gorgeous place, good work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sorry... Have to yell this: THIS IS BEAUTIFUL. Love your version of a zig zag quilt. It's very dynamic and the Terrain is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooooh da lolly! That quilt is going to be a stunner. I was busting up a terrain charm pack myself last night. I love those fabrics! Clearly they make a great quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Inspiring to see what you can accomplish!
    I'd vote for putting together rows, then sewing those together. Maybe 1+2 then 3+4 and then sewing the pairs into groups and then groups into a quilt vs row 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love love love the colour progression you chose! I do love me some Terrain!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooooh, this is just wonderful! I love the layout.

    ReplyDelete
  16. what a great pattern to show of those lovely fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kerstin!! That is gorgeous! Oh, I can't wait to see it finished. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. i get the "needing a break" from the sewing machine... happens to me too! as for machine stitching the binding- i don't love the look as well, but i am too lazy to hand stitch it so i just deal with the less-than-perfect look. i have to say that after doing it awhile, it does look better and better. i LOVE this quilt. love it! instead of making rows or columns and then attaching them, i would try to assemble blocks (don't know how big your quilt is so its hard to say of the size blocks, but maybe shoot for 6 blocks,) then attach those... does that make sense? that is always easier for me to work with than big long rows. can't wait to see it quilted! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. It looks great! This is one of my favourite lines :)

    ReplyDelete