Friday, January 13, 2012

First 2012 finish

Here it is, the first quilt I finished this year.


I'm really happy with how it turned out. This is a gift for my husband's aunt. She turned 70 at the end of December. Since she was always complimenting me on my quilts, I thought I make her one for her birthday. Since her style is rather classic (lots of black, white and gray in her wardrobe), I wanted to make a quilt that reflects that style. I got a jelly roll of Puttin' on the Ritz by Bunny Hill Designs in the gray colorscheme, added some Kona Ash and Plum and after leafing through Susan Beal's  book Modern Log Cabin Quilting I was sure I wanted to make the Clouds in the Sky duvet cover as a quilt. But after I had finished a few blocks, I started playing around and in the end I settled for the Barn Raising pattern. This brings out the patterned fabric much nicer.


I quilted the front with plum colored thread, and the back with light grey one. I had actually planned on different quilting, but I think I was a bit absentmindedly when marking the lines. And since I was too lazy to mark it all over again, I just went with it.


Let's just hope Auntie will like it as well...

I'm also excited about the fact that I actually finished something in time to link up at TGIFF and crazy mom quilts!

11 comments:

  1. I love the quilting on your modern log cabin, your quilts are fantastic!

    We were traveling in your area in October 2010, my husband's mother lives in Bremen. We coming again this year but I'm not sure if we're traveling the alp again.

    Thanks for stopping by my little blog, it's great to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Kerstin, it is gorgeous! I am so excited for you. If she doesn't love, love, love it then I'll have it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure she will love it! I love how the border makes the center square pop in you log cabin blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've been very thoughtful of your fabric choices and the quilt has turned out as a wonderful gift! It is simply beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice color choices, they go so well together! A great traditional block with a modern twist with those color choices, very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! What a great finish to start 2012, Kerstin! It's beautiful! I'm sure your husband's aunt will be over the moon to receive this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job! I think your quilting sets it all off nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure she will love and treasure it :)
    It's a wonderful design.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, if she doesn't love it...just ship it on over here to Louisiana where it will be loved. Of course she is going to love it....it is beautiful. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i LOVE this. i love that you made it to suit your hubby's aunt's taste. so thoughtful. So pretty. i love the plum! i absolutely love the quilting. what a perfect first finish of 2012! :)

    ReplyDelete