Friday, January 27, 2012

Anna's quilt

Thank goodness this is finished! And in record time, too. Took me only two years from the first block to the last stitch of the binding...


Now that it's done, I couldn't be happier about it. But there was a lot of doubt and annoyance along the way. When I started the 10 inch blocks with all my scraps, I thought that this chaos looks horrible. (I paper pieced them by the way, and my dear friend Alison had the brilliant idea to use the pages of a phone book). But once they were joined, it all came together and made sense. And then came the quilting. Oh my, I nearly lost my nerves over that! Somehow, my machine kept jamming and I ended up with missed stitches and sometimes even a giant amount of thread on the back. I had to rip it all out. I gave my machine a good cleaning and what do you know, it went off without hitch. It is quilted with white thread on the top and orange thread on the back.


For the backing, I used this IKEA fabric that I had bought a while ago (not sure if they still carry it). I thought it fit, since this quilt is going to a sweet little girl!


And now it will be boxed and shipped of to Minnesota. I actually started this quilt as a gift for the daughter of a friend, to make the transition from crib to big girl bed easier. Yeah, that was already a while ago, but now I hope it'll keep here warm on those cold Midwestern winters...


The only thing that I did not manage to do with this quilt is emptying my scrap containers. Somehow, there are still so many of the left, so I might have to make another one...

I'm linking up with crazy mom quilts. And with TGIFF again, this week it's hosted over at What a Hoot!

I'm also linking up for the first time ever with Megan of Canoe Rigde Creations for Sew Modern Monday!








31 comments:

  1. This is looking great! I'm sure the little girl will love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see you at TGIFF! It's a week for long-term finishes! This is a fantastic string quilt that she's sure to love. Don't you just hate it when the machine is vomiting? (That's what I call it when it makes those nests on the back.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally scrapalicious! I think I may have to give that a try -- it looks great! Congrats on a beautiful finish Kerstin. I'm sure your friend's daughter will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful string quilt in gorgeous colours!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to see a string quilt finished. :) I've never made a whole one by myself, but I've made a handful of blocks. And they are tedious, so I completely understand that your "record time" was 2 years. :)
    Great job! You should link it to Sew Modern Monday on Canoe Ridge Creations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so beautiful! Thanks for checking out my finish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your quilt! I am sure this little girl will giggle with glee when she receives it.
    I have recently fallen in love with string quilts and am working on my first right now that I intend to keep for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love scrappy quilts! The backing it perfect and I am sure she will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. String quilts and scrappy ones are my favorites. I do love the Ikea sheet. I saw it last July and now I kick myself for not purchasing it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute and I'm sure she'll agree that it's worth the wait!

    ReplyDelete
  11. its beautiful! and can i just say, as the mom of a 4 year old girl- the little girl will LOVE that backing fabric!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on the finish. It looks great.
    I finished my first string quilt earlier this month and was also surprised that there wasn't a bigger dent in my scraps. Guess I'll have to make another one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE!!! What a beautiful quilt to give to a special little girl...fabulous finish! Smiles~Beth

    ReplyDelete
  14. The quilt looks great; I think the backing fabric is perfect for it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. SO pretty! I love the coziness of a scrappy quilt, and the backing couldn't be more perfect. I'm sure she'll love snuggling under it! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love it! I wonder which side the little girl will like the most, the cute hearts or the fun and colorful strings?

    Diane K.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! You just reminded me that I've got some string blocks I made from scraps somewhere too. Yours look great and I love that Ikea fabric. Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anna (and her Mom) will LOVE it! Thanks for sharing, and giving us a sneak peak at the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely gorgeous! And I love the hearts on the back!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That backing fabric is perfect! :) Lovely quilt - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  21. A really darling quilt! Congrats on the great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Really beautiful quilt! I love your pattern and fabrics! The backing is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It is lovely! Inspires me to finish my string quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's beautiful! Well worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Haha, yes, those scrap containers seem to be bottomless here as well. Thanks for adding your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow!! What a pretty quilt - I love all the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  27. love the string quilts! this one has a great color selection!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your string quilt is beautiful! I love all your colors. I think you did a great job, and the little girl it's going to will love it.

    ReplyDelete