Friday, December 30, 2011

Quo vadis?

No, I did not choose this title to show off my Latin skills (they are rather minimal, to be honest). But I thought the phrase 'where are you going?' would fit nicely. Because with the quilt I'm working on right now, I have no idea where I'm going.

This one is another gift. My husband's aunt turned 70 this month (yes, it will be a belated gift), and I wanted to make her a quilt. Her style is rather classical, so I did not want to go overboard with color this time. After a lot of thought, I settled on a jelly roll of 'Puttin on the ritz' from Bunny Hill Designs. I chose the greyish color line. Since I already had my fabric all nicely in strips, I thought it would be nice to do some log cabin blocks. I leafed through Susan Beal's genius book Modern Log Cabin Quilting and thought something with negative space would be nice.

The only problem I have now is: I can't decide on a design.

This is option A:


Option B:

 And option C:


I tend towards option B at the moment. I want to make the blocks bigger and then add some sashing around in Kona Plum (that's the fabric of the center squares, the other solid is Kona Ash). But I'm open to all ideas, so if you have a suggestion, fire away!

4 comments:

  1. My vote is for option B too. Love the colours and the added pop of plum in the centre is gorgeous. Not sure about sashing... but a plum border would look lovely. Looking at what you've done so far, though, I know she'll love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kerstin :D

    I like option B, beacause it looks open and welcoming :-)

    Looking forward to see the finished result :D

    Have a lovely Friday and a Happy new year ♥

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like option 2 also and the plum sashing look great! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Number 2 is great....Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete