Wednesday, November 16, 2011

WIP Wednesday #21

Wow, just wow. 53 comments last week, that's quite something for my little blog! Thank you all who visited and had to say something nice about my work. I really appreciate each and every comment, and I feel really bad that I could not reply a lot last week.

I did not really sew a lot this past week. I finished the cross quilt in time for my mother-in-law's birthday, she liked it a lot. And that was it until last night. My in-laws live in north Germany, so we went there by train on Friday and returned yesterday afternoon. The days in between were filled with lots of eating, seeing a lot of relatives and generally having a good time. And since it was also our 6th wedding anniversary this past Saturday, Grandma and Grandpa gave us a day off. We went to downtown Hannover to shop, sit in a cafe and talk and just enjoyed being together. And my dear husband is so, so nice and patient! He even went to a fabric store with me! And did not say a word when I went crazy! Here's what I got:


Isn't that a nice little stack? It's from a German manufacturer called Tante Ema. They also had this line in yellow, pink and purple, but I was running a little low on fabric for boy baby quilts, so I picked up green and turquoise.  It also goes great together with the DS Quilts fabric from Joann's that I have in my stash.

So after the kids were in bed last night, I sat down and got creative:



I got the idea for this block from a little puzzle that my mother-in-law had to entertain my three year old (she's a elementary school teacher and always has those great educational toys at hand). While he was playing with the triangles and diamonds in the puzzle, I thought to myself that this might make a great quilt pattern. So after a little trial and error I had my first block. I haven't made up my mind yet were this will lead, but it sure is fun!


And now excuse me, I have to check out what everyone else is working on. Go see for yourself...




4 comments:

  1. You're brilliant! I love these blocks. It looks very similar to a seven sister quilt pattern, but most of those are paper pieced or hand pieced because of the inset y seams! I love the cute mushroom fabric too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kerstin, it's a stunning quilt you started. I can't wait to see more of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a quilt of 6-point stars on my bed growing up... that pattern always makes me nostalgic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kerstin! Those are so great blocks! I try to find a way to use diamonds and here it is! Thank you for inspiration!
    xxx Teje

    ReplyDelete