Friday, November 4, 2011

City Weekend, finished in time for the weekend



My quick little baby quilt is done, just in time for the weekend (which means I can concentrate on other things this weekend!). This baby quilt is a commission, and I'm glad I could finish it in so little time. I started on Monday and finished it yesterday evening. It's a gift for someone who is on the board of my son's preschool with me. The other boardmembers had asked me to make a quilt for her, she just had her second baby at the end of October. I had two charm packs of City Weekend by Oliver + S, which I paired with Kona Cotton in White. Since it's a boy, I only pulled the blues, greens and turquoise shades in the beginning, but then I realized that would not be enough charms so I threw in the yellow ones as well.

I have to admit, when I was done with the top, I thought it was a bit bland. But now that it all came together, I like how it turned out.




I quilted in wavy lines, using turquoise thread. For the back I used a thinly striped white and blue fabric, along with some green, blue and white striped binding.


I was lazy this time, I sewed on the binding with the machine. That was a first for me. And while I appreciated how fast this is, I think I will stick with hand sewing the binding. I just like the look of it better.

And since I finished it just in time, I will be linking up to TGIFF over on Quokka Quilts today!

PS: By the way, this is quilt #11 this year, so I'm only one quilt away from reaching my personal goal of 12 quilts this year! Yeah!


6 comments:

  1. I don't think it is bland at all. Utterly gorgeous. Loving the wavy quilting too - simple yet effective. I can't believe this was done in mere days. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh well done. I love those wavy lines :) beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kerstin!
    Your quilt caught my eye on my slide show on my blog. Very peaceful and nautical feel. Like it lots!

    I have family not too far away. Neuhausen/Esslingen.a.N.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woo hoo! Great finish, Kerstin. You work fast! Great fabric choices -- I like how you included the yellow. I love the quilting stitch you used too. Thanks for linking up to TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This quilt is gorgeous! The city weekend fabrics are great and you've really made them sing!

    Just realised you are in South Germany, my sister lives in Regensburg and I lived in Bochum for a while - Regensburg is beautiful. And where you live - all those wonderful forests! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice quilt! I like those wavy lines. Congratulations on #11.

    ReplyDelete