Tuesday, October 11, 2011

WIP Wednesday # 16

Hello, I'm back from a little break last week. I simply did not have anything to show last week, so I thought it would be a bit silly to link up. I haven't had good quilting mojo, after all the difficulties with my donation quilt. But now that's finished and on to new stuff. Which brings me to rule-breaking. I already broke my new rule that for every new thing I start, I have to finish an old project.

Fall has inspired me so much, I wanted to make a fall quilt. Here are the first two blocks:


I bought a lot of fat quarters in fall colors. At first, I just wanted to cut out leafs and applique them on the fabric. But then I thought that's too boring and the leaves never turn into one color anyway. So I did some improvisational piecing, and cut the leafs out of that. I plan on joining the blocks together with a dark red border around them.

The second thing I can show this week is actually beyond embarrassing. Not the block itself. But this is a block for a quilt of the San Diego Modern Quilt Guild. Every member makes a block and the finished quilt will be donated. Well, we first talked about this in February. So it took me a full eight month to finish this little block! Which was a lot of fun doing, btw.


Unfortunately, I could not find the little scrap I had of the backing fabric, so I hope it will go together...

As usual, I'm linking up with freshly pieced for WIP Wednesday...




6 comments:

  1. i love those fall leaves! very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fall leaves are beautiful! I'm all about Fall colors as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilts are beautiful. The wonky star is totally worth the wait :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, I'm so impressed with how the improv piecing turned out on those leaves. Such beautiful colors there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your fall leaves blocks, they are going to be fabulous in a quilt.
    The wonky star is really cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The improv piecing looks great, Kerstin. It's going to be stunning. And your donation quilt turned out beautifully! It would be great if you linked it up to this Friday's TGIFF! Party at my blog (Www.quiltmatters.blogspot.com). Definitely a finish worth celebrating!

    ReplyDelete