Monday, October 31, 2011

Star struck


It's finished! My totally selfish "This one is for me" wonky stars quilt is done! And I'm in love with it, what else can I say. It all started with the wonky stars block I made for the charity quilt of the San Diego Modern Quilt Guild. That one little block was so much fun, so I decided I needed some stars in my life as well. I had this little stack of some of my favorite fabrics that I did not know what to do with it: the two purple prints from Momo's Freebird and some Wonderland, some Parisville by Tula Pink and Little Folks by Anna Maria Horner. The solids are Kona Cotton Celery, Plum and Eggplant. I tried to use only fabric from my stash, but I became pretty obvious to me that the one yard of Celery would never be enough. So I had to buy some more. And here's the strange thing: I remember that I bought the original yard at Joann's. The other yard I ordered from some online shop. And the color does not match 100%. Huh, strange. It's not obvious, but if you look really, really close, you can tell.


The quilt measures 66 x 52 inches, so it's a nice lap sized quilt. Oh, and for the backing I got a really lucky break.  Remember all my whining about the lack of a decent fabric store? Well, that's still true. But I also found out that there is a factory for Men's dress shirts in the next village about three miles from my place. They have a factory outlet store where they also sell their fabric. Like dirt cheap. I went there with not very high hopes and found the perfect fabric!


It has a really, really nice feel to it since it's shirting, and it's extra wide, about 78 inches.


The striped binding is also from that place, and I have tons left of it, so now I can make myself some matching pyjama pants...



This quilt will come to my weekly yoga class with me. It's also my entry for Celebrate Color over on Stiched in Color, and I will link it up at Blogger's Quilt Festival. Oh, and it is my 10th quilt this year, so I'm totally back on track with my "12 quilts this year" personal challenge. Uff, that's a lot!


17 comments:

  1. Love it and the quilting design fits wonderfully (as usual!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quilt,love the back too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful quilt! A great photo among the fall leaves too... 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic! I always love wonky stars, but your colors make it even better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice work Quil

    http://szabonemarika.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cool is that?!?!? It's great! I can see why you're so proud (and so possessive!) of it. I happen to LOVE Celery and shades of purple together. :) Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's beautiful Kerstin! I'm definitely moving wonky stars to the top of my list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely quilt! i like the couple of purple backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just got in from Houston...love the way your quilt turned out...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! I had the same problem with two pinks not quite matching...I can tell, though most other people probably couldn't. I love the color combination!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is beautiful! Love the colors and that you are keeping it for yourself. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. beautiful quilt...love that you are trying for 12 quilts in a year, good luck with that =)

    Also i love the backing what a great find.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love it! i love the quilting- totally copying that sometime soon! and i love the backing- beautiful- and the binding- the tiny stripes are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Welcome Magyrországról. I really like your quilt. Beautiful colors, and stitching. I love the asymmetrical patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just love your stars! So cute.

    Mary
    http://www.quiltgenius.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yeah for making a quilt just for you! Your wonky stars are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete