Sunday, October 9, 2011

Looks can be deceiving...


 I finished the donation quilt for 100 quilts for kids yesterday evening. And I am happy about it. Happy about having this little baby off my table. Why? Such a sweet little charms quilt should be quick and easy to do, no? Well, looks can be deceiving. It all started out with this quilt that I came across on Flickr. I really liked the simple look of it and thought to myself "That's a quick and easy project, I'll do that for my donation quilt!". The pattern is the storytime squares pattern by Rae of Made by Rae.  I had this little fabric bundle I did not know what to do with it. I threw in two more prints from my stash, cut some 5 inch square and went to work on it. But sometimes it does make sense to read directions. My first mistake was that I cut 2.5 inch strips for the solid borders. And surprise, surprise, the pieced strip around the first solid strip did not match up at the corners. For a minute or so I contemplated just to leave it, but in the back of my mind I knew that this was really not an option. Lucky for me, Kate from swim, bike, quilt had directions on her blog on how to make this pattern with a charm pack. I cut 3 inch strips and tried my luck again. And magically, it all matched up! Well, until I added the extra row of charms around the quilt. Somehow I ran into the same problem again, the pieced strip was way to long. But this time I opted for the quick and dirty method. Let's just say that some of the charms are not really squares anymore. But it's not really obvious, only if you would look really, really close.




After I had pieced the back and basted it together, I thought about the quilting and came up with a little triangle pattern. I marked the whole top with such a disappearing ink marker. That was on a Wednesday night. Too bad I go to yoga class on Thursdays and had a date night with my husband on the Friday of that week. By Saturday, when I picked it up again, of course all the lines had disappeared. So I marked everything one more time and immediately quilted it. And then it only took me another week to bind it...


I guess that's what I deserved for thinking "I'll make this quilt in a few days!" It is already shipped of to San Diego, where it will hopefully warm a little baby in the NICU of UCSD hospital.

3 comments:

  1. Just found your blog. Your quilt will lend comfort to a family in crisis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's looking great! But I consider myself forewarned not to attempt it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the quilting, especially, on this quilt! And this quilt has the most views on the link up, so i'm not the only one :)

    ReplyDelete