Tuesday, August 30, 2011

WIP Wednesday #12

It's Wednesday, and I can't believe it, but I am actually linking up again to freshly pieced! After two and a half month! That means I have done some quilt related sewing! Yay for me! (Curtains were getting a bit boring, but I'm finally done with those)


Remember this little stack? From a hundred years ago?


Well, it now looks like this:


My in-laws were visiting this last weekend. To see your new place and to see their grandkids. That gave me a whole uninterrupted Sunday morning in my brand new studio. I loved it,  three hours of sewing in bright daylight. While I was happily sewing away, I realized how much I missed this. So I sneaked in every second I could and by Monday evening I had a finished quilt top. I call it the Fabler-Fandango-Mash-up, since the little animal fabric is from IKEA's Fabler line and the rest is Fandango by Kate Spain. I love how it turned out. It will be a gift for a friend who's expecting a girl at the end of September.

Another friend already had her second baby in the beginning of July. Since I was kind of busy with moving then, I still need to make a quilt for her little boy. So yesterday I pulled some boy fabrics from my stash and started this:


While making the Fabler-Fandango top, I realized that most of the projects I did lately were either square-in-square or log cabin quilts. So I decided to spruce things up a bit and step out of my comfort zone. A zig-zag quilt is a nice start, no?




7 comments:

  1. Your mash-up top is smashing. And a zig-zag quilt is definitely a nice start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your quilt! Wow! :) So cute. Congrats on being first in WIP Wednesday!
    BTW, You're in Germany - would you consider doing a german themed Mugrug for my World Mugrug tour? see www.quokkaquilts.com or http://quokkaquilts.blogspot.com/p/mug-rugs-of-world.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. love those fabrics on your mashup. I'm about to do a mashup of my own: Moda Hideaway to represent Austria, Japanese fairy tale prints, and a nursery rhyme backing. Whew!
    The zigzag is looking great as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love what you've done with that Fabler fabric. I need to visit IKEA.

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice work on both projects. I wish I had a nice bright studio to sew in. Sew Lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zig zag quilts are fun! Yours will be very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So very fun to see your projects from all the way across the ocean. I think the idea of centering the motifs and using a sort-of log-cabinish border really sets them off nicely--an idea I should steal, as I have some prints on fabric that I have no idea what to do with (until now).

    Congrats on all the sewing--such a lovely time. And sorry to be so slow on my WIP comments. It's just that kind of a week.

    Elizabeth E!
    http://occasionalpiece.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete