Tuesday, May 24, 2011

WIP Wednesday #9

Okay, by now you know the drill. It's Wednesday, I'm showing what I'm working on, and I'm linking up with freshly pieced.

 While I was happily quilting the Fandango merry go round (still at it, no end in sight yet), I was thinking about my next project. A baby quilt for my friend Christine. She's due at the beginning of July with a baby boy. Should be plenty of time to make a quilt until then, no? But, it just so happened that last Sunday I got an invitation to her baby shower. Which will be on June 4th. That's about a week and a half away. I better get going if I don't want to show up empty handed for this. After a brief moment of panic, I remembered this little stack of fabric:



And then I armed myself with the rotary cutter and dove right in. Now some of it looks like this:


I am making the 'Modern Crosses' quilt pattern from Susan Beal's book Modern Log Cabin Quilting. Yes, that's the very one from the cover. I did not want to use just one solid for in between the crosses, and I made the outer frames of each block a bit slimmer. It's funny, when I bought the fabric (it is from the DS Quilts collection, the one Denyse Schmidt did for Joann's), I almost did not pick up the plaid one. But after making the first block with it, I really liked the look.


And since this will be for a baby boy, I decided to put one into each row. I think this will balance out the floral prints of this line quite nicely and give it a more masculine touch, no? I figured I will need ten more blocks for the top, but they come together quickly with chain piecing.

I also found the time to cut into the IKEA fabric. This happy group of animals will (hopefully) soon be joining the leftover strips of Fandango.


In my head, I have the quilt design for this all figured out, but I will have to see if it also looks nice in reality.

17 comments:

  1. Love the colors of the DS baby quilt. The plaid looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's too funny - I also started a Modern Crosses baby quilt this week!! I like your idea of varying the solids, I might just try that myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The blues and greens you are using are beautiful. I can't wait to see how the finished top looks. The modern cross is beautiful and seems reasonable for a beginer(ish) quilter like myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your Modern Crosses progress! I love the different solids in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE modern crosses! I've seen that a few places lately and it totally rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Modern Crosses is very cool. And I need to go shopping at IKEA!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That plaid is my favorite print from the line! That's going to be a gorgeous little boy quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These modern log cabins look great, I have seen a few of them on WIP Wednesday they are impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  9. very cute! good luck with your deadline, i see late night sewing in your future ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ikea has so much fabric to play with! The modern log cabin looks fabulous so far!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i *LOVE* this quilt- such a wonderful pattern. its beautiful kerstin! you do such wonderful work. and i'm with you on the plaid- didn't buy it but seeing it in your quilt i'm sold! :) still have your dots by the way- i'll get those to you at the next meeting! and the ikea fussy cutting is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your modern crosses, the colours are gorgeous. That Ikea fabric is so cute

    ReplyDelete
  13. The modern crosses are looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the Modern Crosses quilt! I want to make that one too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun baby quilt! Man, I wish I'd had modern-quilter friends when I had my first. :) Your friend is totally gonna love it, and so is the baby! :)
    Also? I'm in LOVE with your merry-go-round quilt. I'm pretty sure I'd never be able to finish it (chicken!), but it's really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so fun, I haven't seen that book in person but what I have seen of it online looks great. I think the modern crosses is going to be a classic pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your modern crosses look great! I love how nice that pattern looks.

    ReplyDelete