Wednesday, May 4, 2011

WIP Wednesday #6

Happy Wednesday everyone! I feel like I have been really productive this past week. So it's nice to link up this week with freshly pieced.


My baby boy is finally healthy again. He got better just in time, so I could go to the sew in of the San Diego Modern Quilt Guild this past Sunday. I had such a good time. I met a lot of very nice, very talented people. And in the four hours there I got a lot done. The quilt top of my postage stamps quilt for example. In the evening I also realized what a nice husband I have (okay, knew that before, just got proof for it once more). Because he did not once ask me why I had to sew in the evening as well, even though I had just done that in the middle of the day. Anyway, at the meeting I got the top done and in the evening at home I finished the back:

 I think I went a bit overboard with the pins...

I choose a nice chocolate brown for the back, with a little patchwork in between. Now it just needs quilting, but I haven't made up my mind yet on how to quilt it.

I also realized that I have a serious problem. I mean, why finish a quilt when you can start another one? It's not that I have the postage stamps, a string quilt, the freebird log cabins and another baby quilt to finish. But there was lots of cutting and sewing, cutting and sewing some more going on yesterday evening. So first there was this:


And then came this:


Can you guess what that will be? Right, it's the beginning of a Merry go round quilt. When my mother in law came, she brought me a German quilting magazine by Burda. There are a ton on patterns in there, and one of them was the Merry go round by American Jane. I think the magazine was only 5 Euro or so, which is a steal. And since I still had two jelly rolls of Fandango by Kate Spain laying around, I thought I give it a try. So far, I'm loving the look of it. I guess I will only make it crib sized. And luckily, one of my friends is having a baby girl in September, so there's no need to worry about a gift any more!

10 comments:

  1. No such thing as too many pins when it comes to basting! Your hexagons look great, I can't wait to see how you put it all together! Happy WiP Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love the fabric in your postage stamp quilt, is it fandango too? The new quilt will be lovely, I keep doing this too, starting another as the inspiration hits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm loving your Fandango Merry-Go-Round quilt! I can see why you were tempted by that pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now you can't have too many things on the go..that's what makes us unique...hands into everything....lol....nice colours

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that Fandango line of fabric. Your quilt will be so nice with it. I think I have a pattern like that in one of my magazines here and wanted to make it. I do have some Fandango but it is a Layer Cake and a bit of yardage too. I have been ignoring my postage stamp quilt so seeing yours I should get moving on mine too. My stamps are 1.5 inch, I know I should have made bigger ones but its too late now. Maybe that is why I ignore it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad your little guy is feeling better!

    I like that you're doing a pieced back for your postage stamp quilt. I'm already thinking about how I want to do mine, but I'm a long ways off from needing to make that decision!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the hexagons. I have never tried it that way. thank you for sharing,I will have to look into it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. your projects as always are super cute! Love the merry go round, hexagon quilts are just awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. the postage stamp quilt is beautiful! can't wait to see it finished! and this made me laugh- "why finish a quilt when you can start another one?" haha- my thoughts exactly! :) and i love the new merry go round quilt- my friend lori made me a hexie one out of fandango for my b-day- its beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How pretty! Love all of your fabric!

    ReplyDelete