Friday, April 8, 2011

Pajama time!

As soon as I saw the PJ's in the latest issue of Stitch magazine (Winter/Spring 2011 edition), I knew I wanted to make them for my little guy. I let him choose the fabric himself, and he settled on this fire truck/doggie design. Well, not that there was so much too choose from in the first place at Joann's... . I looked for fabric there because I did not want to spend too much on the knit. Truth is, I don't really have a lot of experience sewing with knits, and in case I messed it up, it would not have been such a big deal. But it turned out to be not that difficult after all.
There was only one small problem: the biggest size of the pattern was 12 month, and my son is already three. So what to do? I took the pattern to Kinko's and enlarged it to 120%. Back at home, I took J's measurements and adjusted the pattern accordingly. It worked well, the top is even a little too big. But better too big than too small, right? J seems to like the end result, too...


While this method worked well for the PJs, I needed about twice as much fabric as the pattern called for. Good thing I had bought more and was saved from a trip back to the store. Oh, and I don't think I would use this method of enlargement for an adult pattern, I think that would totally throw the proportions out of balance. But for kids, I'd say just go for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment