Tuesday, February 22, 2011

February quilt finished!


I am right on track with my resolution to make at least one quilt each month this year. The February quilt is officially finished and ready to go to it's new owner!
I got the inspiration for this quilt while browsing through photos on Flickr a while ago and stumbled across this lovely quilt. And since I already had that IKEA duvet cover at home and cut into it for another project, I set to work and fussy cut the numbers. The rest of the fabric comes almost completely from my stash, I just bought a few fat quarters in brown and turquoise. I did not use all the numbers from the original fabric, there was a strange yellow/greenish shade that I did not like. This was the first time I made some wonky log cabin blocks, and since I did not know better, I paper pieced them. Worked like a charm, but do tell me if there's a better way...


The size is about crib sized, it's a gift for a baby girl. When I started the quilt, I did not know it would be a girl, so I tried to make it quite gender neutral (yes, I do think that boys can have pink stuff, too!). Since the quilt top is already quite busy, I kept the back rather simple:


Just the beautiful baby's name on green, along with some red binding. I'll try to send some of our nice California weather along with the quilt to Minnesota...

1 comment: