Friday, August 21, 2015

Evolution - a finished quilt

Have you ever had the feeling while making a quilt that you were running a marathon? I did. And guess what, this week I crossed the finish line. I finished a quilt that I started in February 2014. But the whole process has been a truly enjoyable experience. I only worked on when when the mood struck, and I guess it was well worth the effort. And since for me this quilt was evolving right before my eyes, I named it the Evolution quilt.

(WARNING: Lots of photos ahead!)

This is by far the most modern quilt I ever made. It's made up entirely of Kona Cotton Scraps and started on a whim on a cold February night.

Then came this:

And then this, all done in February 2014:

Two month later in April I did the next addition:

And then there was the move to another county, different projects, lack of inspiration, yadda, yadda, yadda... no work on this for over a year. But during this summer I felt like working on it again. I finished the top last month.

Last Wednesday, I was sewing the final stitches on the binding.

And yesterday I gave it away. I have a very dear colleague who is pursuing greener pastures and she had her goodbye party yesterday. I will miss her very, very much. She played a big part in making me feel welcome in my new office at the beginning of this year. Here she is with her new quilt:

I'm glad this very special quilt found a home with a very special person! Happy Friday everyone!

Linking up with crazy mom quilts for finish it up Friday!

Saturday, July 18, 2015

It's hot out there!

We are now entering the third week of weather of 30 degrees Celsius or more. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining all too much, but the weather did nothing for my sewing mojo. But this morning I thought that I need a new makeup pouch. And this afternoon, it was finished:

It's made out of scraps, Kona white and black linen. The color combination was selected because of the inside fabric:

I've had this piece of waxed cotton for a while and planned to use it for a pouch.

The other side is just leftover scraps. I'm super happy with it and it felt good to sew something just for myself.

Have a nice weekend!

Sunday, July 12, 2015

Meet Beatrix!

I think Beatrix and I will be BFFs. We were not off to a good start, be over the course of this weekend we got along better and better.

To be honest, it was entirely my fault we did not hit it off immediately. If you attempt to get to know Beatrix as well, I recommend to check your printer settings and print at 100% if you use A4 paper...

So my muslin was way to tight, even thought I had checked my measurements first. This was all yesterday, and this morning I started fresh and printed again. It was maybe a bit risky to use the good fabric without making another muslin, but at this point, I wanted results fast.

It ended up a bit too big, but this was easily remedied by taking off some inches on the sides. I guess I had more luck than sense here...

I love the buttons on the back, such a nice detail.

I think this will be only the first of many, many Beatrix tops in my closet. I guess they'll fit right in with all that Washi dresses...

pattern: Beatrix sewing pattern by Made by Rae
fabric: Field Study by Anna Maria Horner

Friday, July 10, 2015

Tic Tac Toe: a finished quilt

I had such big plans for this quilt! I'll take my time, and then I take some really nice photos. Yeah, well, what do they say about the best laid plans...?

This quilt was a gift for my new nephew. He was already born at the beginning of May, but my brother-in-law and his family live about three hours away from us and we did not get the chance to visit before last weekend. Last week was also the last week of school with lots of parties and end of school stuff. Plus, it was very hectic at work. What does this have to do with this quilt, you ask? It meant that I was not really in the mood for quilting, and therefore did not finish until last Friday late in the evening. Since we left the next morning, there was no way of taking photos.

So I thought: "great, I'll do it when we get there in their garden". Only that we had 35 degrees Celsius and no one was really in the mood to spent more time outside than absolutely necessary...

Anyway, to make a long story short: baby boy is really cute and quilt was well received.

This quilt was made possible through the Beehivequilts. I had 12 blocks from my beemates and added some more. In this bee, we sew from our own stash, and I love that this gives the quilt a variety of fabrics.

The back was a lucky coincidence. I've had this owl fabric in my stash for a few years now, and I had totally forgotten about it. I was looking for fabric for the binding when I rediscovered it! And the piece was big enough for the whole quilt, no piecing. Yay!

What about you? Has the end of the school year slowed down your sewing as well?

I'm linking up with crazy mom quilts for finish it up Friday.

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Tic Tac Toe

On May 11th, our family got bigger again. My brother-in-law and his wife welcomed a beautiful baby boy. Everyone is doing very well, and baby is quite mellow so far. We have yet to meet our nephew, but that gives me a little more time to finish his quilt...

I was queen bee in The Beehive Quilts in April, and my fellow mates sent some beautiful blocks along my way. I added seven more blocks to get a total of 20 blocks, and this morning I was able to finish the top. I even found a piece of owl fabric that's big enough for the backing in my stash, so hopefully this baby will be finished soon...

I'm linking up with Sew Cute Tuesday on Blossom Heart Quilts.